Monday, November 12, 2012

Chicken Stock

So with not baking in all my spare time I get to work on some of the stuff I have wanted to do but haven't had the time. My list is huge but I did get to try 2 of them today.
1. Roast a chicken in the oven.
2. Homemade chicken stock.

As weird as it is I have never roasted a chicken in the oven. Crockpot yes but it wasn't the same. So this morning it happened. Washed it up, dried & seasoned. baked for 90 minutes & it was done! So easy and tastes so good!

And since I had all the fixins I made some homemade chicken stock. Now I knew it was easy but I thought maybe it would be not worth the effort when you can just buy it. Its worth it. My house smelled wonderful all afternoon and I love that I know everything that is in it. As I get older I tend to be a little more aware of what I am consuming. Does this stop me from eating fast food, processed food, ect....no. I know I don't have the time to 100% do this right now. BUT when things get settled on the homefront I tend to move us more over that way.

Chicken Stock!
 
Here is my unofficial recipe AND I haven't used it yet. Next weekend chicken & noodles is on my radar.....
 
Handful of baby carrots (I had them in the house but you can always use regular ones peeled & cut up)
3-4 celery stalks cut in a few pieces
Onion 1-2 medium
Chicken Carass & Scraps
1 TBSP Kosar salt
Seasoning (pepper, rosemary, ect)
4-5 Qts water
 
I just used salt & pepper for this batch. I will play around later with new herbs.
 
Brown veggies with some olive oil, add carass, water & seasoning. Bring to a boil & then turn down to a simmer for 4-5hrs. I did 5 today & it smells so good! Strain all solid stuff & you have chicken stock. I stuck mine in the freezer & will thaw to use.
 
Super easy & a new homemade in our house!


No comments:

Post a Comment