Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tools I Use for Fitness

BLOG HAS MOVED TO http://thesweetlifemylife.com/

I have been using a few things to help me along in my quest for better health. I need to lose weight. I have put on about 25lbs over the last few years & this is the year it is coming off. I am down about 11lbs so far so almost 1/2 way there! Along with being nerdy I love technology. There I said it. I love being able to track besides a pen & paper. Although I love my pencil & paper & still have a day planner.

So the 1st tool I use is www.sparkpeople.com. This is a free website that you can use to track food AND excercise. It has a great community message board to keep you motivated & its super easy to navigate around in. And if you have a smart phone their app is WONDERFUL! I use this to track my food. They have a bar code scanner so you don't have to type if you don't want to but their library of food is amazing. If by chance what you eat isn't in there you can add it.

Body Bugg
 

2nd tool is the body bugg. This is new to me, I have only had it a week. So far so good! I love being able to see my calorie burn for the day & not guess. My husband got a great deal on this so keep you eye out for them. I just have a basic one, no watch, ect. The cons: I don't like to wear it all the time (to bed is the worst so I usually take it off then) & the website. You are able to track your food on it but there is limited selections compared to Spark People. So at this point I am only using the website for calorie tracking. You are also required to pay each month to use the website. My bugg came with a 6 month subscription so I am planning to have the weight off in plenty of time so I don't have to pay.

3rd which I don't use anymore due to the bugg is a heart rate monitor. I LOVED my Polar Monitor but the chest strap died (had it a few years). I fullly plan to replace it at a later date. I could wear it while I worked out & it was more accuate than the machines PLUS wearing it was when I found out I wasn't getting my heartrate up high enough. I have another heart rate monitor but I didn't like it as much as the Polar. My husband even has one for when he is training and we have got one of our friends who is trying to lose weight to get one. Can you tell we LOVE it!!

So there are my 3 go-to items in getting fit. Did you notice the scale is not one of my tools?? I tend to lean to how I feel and look as to if I am getting towards my goals. I weigh in MAYBE once a week, more like once a month though. I know you need to know if you are moving towards where you want to be but I also want to feel healthy & happy.

So get out there & move this weekend! Maybe do a little more for me since I am stuck home with a horrible cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment